Today we celebrated the life of Grandpa William D. Critchfield.
Dad enjoyed going through some of Grandpa's old photos to make a slide show for the funeral luncheon.
I remember asking him once if he had ever learned to play a musical instrument, and he told us he took accordion lessons as a kid. I thought he was joking at first, but sure enough, we found proof!
He grew up and became a handsome sports star in high school and college.
He also served in the military as an infantry weapons instructor for the US Army.
Grandma and Grandpa had six children together before they divorced, and it was bittersweet for these siblings to gather and share their grief as they said goodbye.
Dad had the privilege of officiating at the funeral since he is a chaplain in the US Army.
Dad's Funeral Message:
"Thank you all for your sacrifices to be here today to honor the memory of William David Critchfield. As a Chaplain of the US Army Reserve, I have planned and conducted several funerals and memorials. But it is my honor and privilege to do so today for my own father, an Army Veteran. One of the purposes for our meeting today is to give us all a chance to say goodbye to Bill.
In general, saying goodbye has never been easy - especially when we have concerns about where loved ones are going or how long they'll be gone. But knowing that goodbye is really a pronouncement of the blessing "God be with you" can make the separation more bearable. Whether for only a few hours, or much longer, we must all, on occasion, say farewell and place our lives and lives of those we love in the hands of divine providence. Children grow up and leave home, friends move away, jobs end, dear ones pass on, and each time we have to say goodbye. Life demands that all of us endure separation, but the pain of this separation can be greatly softened when, with trust in heaven's help, we include with our goodbye the hopeful plea "God be with you till we meet again."
It is that pronouncement that we say to Bill: "God be with you till we meet again," for surely we shall. This is not the end, but merely a transition. It is also that phrase I extend to all of us here today. God be with you until you meet Bill again as well. Saying goodbye is not easy, but it is good. At times like these, it causes reflection on our relationship to the one who is gone. Whether he is your father, brother, or friend, we can all pause to honor his memory. We can be comforted in our sorrow knowing that we can become better for having known him. For us and our loved ones, "God be with you" can inspire hope in the future, comfort in the present, and gratitude for memories and lessons learned from the past. That is the good in goodbye. May we all feel that hope, comfort, and gratitude today.
The older I get, and the more I learn, the more I realize I do not know. I don't know why things happen the way they do; why God allows some things to happen and intervenes in other instances. I don't know how to make everyone happy or avoid conflict with everyone. I don't know the right words to say all the time. I don't know why some people make the choices they make. But time and experience have taught me many things, and one of them is to lean on what I DO know. So today, in the midst of all of us gathering together to mourn the loss of Bill Critchfield, I would like to share what I know that has helped me in this challenge and others throughout my life:
First and foremost, I know God lives. He is our Heavenly Father. He loves us more than we can possibly imagine.
I know Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer, and through His atonement not only are we saved but can become perfected in Him. I know that He is our advocate with the Father and His mercy and grace is greater than we can comprehend. He is the only true judge because He is the one who truly understands our unique challenges and the intent of our hearts.
I know that our Heavenly Father established a plan of redemption for all of us from the foundation of the world, and that the creation, fall, and atonement of Christ were all a part of that plan.
God said to Adam in Genesis chapter 3 verse 19: "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, til thou return to the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." All of us who are born on this earth will likewise return our physical body to the ground one day. But this is not the end. For this purpose, Christ came to redeem mankind from the fall of Adam and Eve. In 1 Corinthians chapter 15, Paul teaches about the resurrection and tells us "But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."
I know that God's work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, and that He is able to do His work. Therefore, I know that I will see my father again. And when that day comes, I believe it will be a joyous occasion, when neither of us will be affected any longer by the weaknesses of this mortal life and our understanding of the nature of God's love will be expanded.
I know these things not just because I have studied or been taught them all my life. I know these things because of the witness of the Holy Ghost, which is a sure witness; a stronger witness than what we can experience through our mortal senses. It is that spirit that can testify to each of us today that death is not the end of life, but a doorway to our eternal life with our Father, our Savior, and our family. All our Heavenly Father and Savior ask of us is to choose Them and try to become like Them as we make and keep covenants.
I know my father was not a perfect man and made many mistakes in his life. But I also know he made at least 9 good choices in his life that have made a significant impact: He chose to marry my mother in the holy temple and subsequently brought 6 of us children into the world. For that alone I am eternally grateful to be born into the most holy of covenants and live with family members who loved me and helped me along the way. During that time, he chose to serve in the US Army, which has afforded him many benefits in the last 14 years, without which he never would have been able to survive this long. He chose to marry Nancy Claire Spencer, who has been a faithful woman in his life and taken care of my father through many ups and downs. Her character has sustained my father in many difficult times.
I believe my father has done the best he could with what he understood. But must importantly, I believe in a Savior whose merits alone save us from the effects of the Fall of humankind, namely sin and death. That same Savior I trust in, and depend on, to save me from my sins and weaknesses because I am trying to follow Him, can also apply His unending grace and mercy to every one of us as we choose to have faith in Him and repent, or turn back to Him.
May William David Critchfield's passing be a reminder of these important truths, and may the Spirit witness of these truths to us all, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
After the final salute, they folded the flag that was draped over Grandpa's casket and gave it to Grandma Nancy. Then they took Grandpa's casket away to prepare for burial.
The rest of the morning was spent with family, and it was great to be surrounded by all the love and connections we have with them.
How grateful we are to know that families can be together forever.
We will miss you, Grandpa Critchfield.
Until we meet again.








No comments:
Post a Comment